Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!

When I was in High School I decided to run for student government.
I decided to run for Vice President because who else would run for that? Like-nobody!
Someone else did run, though. I don't remember who.
My slogan was Vote for Vote!
Awesome, huh?
A few friends came up with a song to the tune of "Great balls of fire".
It went a little like this: "Goodness gracious, vote for Debra Vote".
How could I not win with that kind of backing?
So, I won and then after a few months the President flaked out and I took over those duties.
Then I really had to do some work.
That was my only year in student government.
After I graduated I got a job as a page in the Arizona House of Representatives. I learned so much that session. I came to really appreciate the work that goes into governing our land. What a blessing to be in a country where we can exercise our rights as citizens.
I always look forward to election day. I love the excitement of going to the polls and then watching the news for the whole day and sometimes into the wee hours of the morning to see who will win. We actually sleep with the TV on so we can wake up at any time to get an update.
When I was updating our address I had the option to request an early ballot.
It would have been so simple to check that little box.
But did I?
NOOO.
I like going to the polling place, I thought.
And I have never had to wait in line for more than 15 minutes in the past.
Then, I started to regret my decision.
Dang!
I might have to wait in line for, like, hours!
What was I thinking?
Curtis already voted this morning. He went at 6 a.m.
I get to take Zane with me.
Dang!
Zane strapped into a stroller is not a pretty sight.
I'm charging the battery on the Nintendo DS.
Bringing along Pride and Prejudice.
We better take lots of juice boxes, bags of crackers, fruit snacks and books.
And I better pack a few things for Zane, too.


Here is a picture of Zane and Grace. They are buddies. Grace is such a good big sister. Except when she bosses him around. Which is, like, all the time! And when she tries to carry him. They are almost the same size.

Thanks Grace for not resenting Zane for taking your place as the baby!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for blog links--so fun to read yours this afternoon!

Kudos to you for your political passion and dedication to the electoral process. Would that more people would take their duty as citizens more seriously than they do now.

Shel said...

Wow...you GO!!Hey...I want a follow up post of how it actually went!! I would D-I-E if I had to take my 2 little ones! Thank goodness for the early ballot I say!! But you are a TRUE BLUE!! Love the pic of the 2 youngest...very sweet!

holli jo said...

Debra, I haven't seen you in a while, but Zane is just adorable!!

I hope your voting experience was better than mine. We waited 2 hours here in GA.