Friday, October 29, 2010

A Time for Grace

There's nothing like good, old-fashioned Mom-Guilt. Constantly I'm plagued with these thoughts:

"Did I show enough concern when ________ felt sad because her best frenemy said she wasn't going to be her friend anymore (for the third time this week)?" (okay---it's Grace)

"Will ________ feel bad that I didn't go to her awards assembly at which she received awards for perfect attendance, honor roll and got the MYP MVP award?" (insert Hannah)

"Will _________'s teacher notice that I forgot to sign up to bring snacks to their Literature Day party?" (Grace, again)

"Does _________ notice that I'm not really listening to her tell a story about something that she thinks is funny that happened in science with some kid that I don't even know?" (Hallie, couldn't leave her out)

"Does _________ care that I am practicing the piano for several hours a day instead of playing Lego's or (gasp!) going to the park?" (Zane, he actually doesn't even ask to go to the park anymore. So sad.)

"Does _______ know that I sometimes don't get her up right away from her nap even when I know she's awake (as long as she is not crying) just because I'm trying to finish some project or another before she can destroy the whole production?" (Violet, poor thing)

I could go on and on about the things that I do do for my kids, from cleaning up after them to feeding them to folding their laundry to making sure the table is clean enough for them to have a space to do their homework. But at the end of the day, those things don't seem to matter as much as others.

*Sigh*

Am I doing enough? Do I show them enough love? Do they really know how I feel about them, or do they just feel like another item on my to-do list? Last week I decided that I was not going to practice the piano much on Fridays and not at all on Saturdays. I'm saving that time for my kids. They deserve it.

No comments: