Tuesday, November 17, 2009

On being grateful.

It seems that after Halloween the world is ready to jump right straight to Christmas. Myself included. Of course the stores have had Christmas decorations on the shelves for weeks. Even the t.v. stations have already started playing holiday themed commercials. How can we not be thinking of Christmas? What to buy junior/grandma/coworker, when and where to have Christmas dinner, how many paychecks before the end of December do we have left? I've actually been stashing gifts in my closet and under my bed for months (if my kids only knew where the secret stashes are).

As I've been swept up into the reality that Christmas is a scant month away, a thought struck me? What happened to Thanksgiving? What about all the blessings I've received all year? Next month we can give and receive. This is the month for pondering what we have already received. For the next week I am going to focus on those blessings and truly give thanks for them.

~I had a healthy pregnancy and delivery this year. And my baby is perfect and beautiful.
~In a time when so many people are struggling, we still have a roof over our heads and two cars.
~We have jobs that we enjoy.
~ Even though we are so busy with callings and church related activities during the week that is seems we are never home, we have children that LOVE going to those activities, we have a wonderful church family to interact with every week and faith in a loving Heavenly Father and his Son, our Savior. In fact our very involvement with church helps keep that faith strong.

I have said before that I love quotes. Here is one for today:

"Were there no God, we would be in this glorious world with grateful hearts and no one to thank" Christina Rossetti



Be thankful.

2 comments:

hillari said...

Excellent reminder. Thank you! I think I tend to just skip right ahead to Christmas too.

Bob and Danya said...

Well said! Amen and amen!