Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Angel

"Our lives are a precious gift presented to us at birth" Thomas Kincade
I get too caught up with the "ugly" side of being a mom. I focus on the negative, whether it is the frustration at being the only employee of "Mom's Taxi Service". A Laundress/Short-Order Chef/Toy-Cleaner-Upper. And worst of all= Chief Bum-Wiper (sigh).
But I also get to be the Tear-Wiper/Lullaby-Singer/Owie-kisser. I get to make "It" all better. I get to hear every detail of my kids' lives (and I mean every detail. Have you ever had a conversation with Hallie?) as we drive to and fro and to again.
I have to remind myself every now and again that my kids are not solely my children. They are Heavenly Father's children on loan to me. He trusts us to teach these little guys and gals everything we can. They are little angels disguised as children.
So if I was feeling a little guilty about the blow-up I had last night when Grace dropped her dinner on the floor (it wasn't pretty), I'm really feeling it now.
I have to, no-need to, show that little "angel" extra love today.
Today I am grateful for Angels.
(Picture: Violet at 2 months old on a blanket made by her Aunt Amanda. Every time I lay her on it I am reminded of her "angel-ness")

3 comments:

Misty Holt said...

I am guilty of the same thing. When Kennedy tells me "every" detail of her day, but has to set up her story and describe the room she was standing in:), I get very frustrated. I always interrupt and ask her to tell me the short version. It must be the age they're at. Don't feel bad, I can't remember all the times my mom had a bad moment. I only remember how much she did for me and loved me, and hopefully our kids will do the same :)

SJ said...

Thanks for your post! It's a good reminder to appreciate my kids -- I know it's too easy to get caught up in what they do wrong or how much work you're doing all the time -- but they are angels that we get to keep and raise :)

hillari said...

Another post of some good thoughts. I like your job description--and being the sole employee stinks sometimes. I think we all need reminding sometimes how special they really are. And before we know it, they're in high school! ;)