Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I will survive.

So.

The "Messiah" was this past weekend.

It went well.

We had two performances. I was pretty stressed out. Okay, I was totally freaking out! I just didn't feel ready. I still had some fine tuning to do on a few numbers. But I had to make do.

The first night as I started the opening overture I was feeling pretty good. That piece is tricky but I felt prepared. As I approached my 2nd page turn I was so nervous. I had practiced that page turn alone countless times. When it came time to turn I accidentally turned 2 pages instead of one. Then when I tried to turn back, I turned two pages again. Sheesh. All the while my right hand kept playing. It was a Miracle with a capital M. But I was mad because that was my favorite passage of that song. At church on Sunday I made a copy of the last page of that number so that I wouldn't have to worry about a pesky page turn, and you better believe I nailed it the 2nd night.

All in all the 2nd night was much better than the first for me. There were a few sections that were better the first night, though. I'm mostly okay with how I did. Of course, there are parts that I was frustrated with myself, though. I just wanted to do good for all the soloists and choir that worked so hard. I didn't want to detract from any of their efforts. And I wanted the spirit and testimony of that music to be first and foremost.

But I have to admit it was pretty amazing to be on the stand and have 700 plus people clapping for you and giving you a standing ovation. The first night Sister K. and I were presented with flowers from the choir. The bouquet is HUGE!!! And beautiful.



The second night we were presented with framed pictures of Christ, which the entire choir had signed on the back.

The entire experience was hard, fun, frustrating, joyous, and ultimately breath-taking. I'm really thankful that I got the chance. And my testimony of the Saviour and what He did for us has definitely grown.

Here is a little taste of what you missed if you didn't get the chance to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsoMuW5bgsU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rowkx-Nltg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDeS0jLvG4

Now I can focus on being a mom again. You know, actually cook and clean and all that stuff. And now I say:

Bring on Christmas! Yay!!!

2 comments:

hillari said...

I'm so glad we were able to go! The whole thing was beautiful, and you were absolutely awesome! Glad you nailed that song the second time around. Not that I actually noticed anything wrong the first time...Anyway, thanks for inviting us, and thanks to your girls for watching extra kiddos. I also was wondering if copies of the cd they were making would be available, because I think I would prefer listening to the music with people I (kind of) know singing and playing! have a great Christmas! We love you guys!

Bob and Danya said...

Well, I knew you could do it! You sounded great on the video! Seriously though...what an awesome accomplishment! I sang that thing in college and it took all semester to prepare. I can just imagine all the hours you had to practice to do that. Ugh! Glad your kids have their mom back now! :)