Monday, February 9, 2009

The Weekend Experience

(Original Artwork by Grace)

Don't you just love weekends that are not too long, not too short? Not too busy, not too boring? I have had the pleasure of experiencing just such a weekend. It was a joy to go through each moment. Well, maybe not every moment. The kids did have to clean their rooms and they needed help. Things were threatening to ruin my perfect weekend. But we persevered and came out just fine.



It all started Friday with a date with my honey buns. Zane had been whining for 2 days straight and my cranium was about to implode. We left our fabulous daughters to govern themselves and each other and ran away for a night of pure bliss-- the movies. First up- dinner. Panda Express. Lately we've been getting the 3 item combo and 2 egg rolls and sharing it all. It's the perfect amount. Leaves enough room for popcorn and soda at the theatre.



The movie we decided to spend half our paycheck on was "Push". This movie did not get good reviews but we thought we'd give it a shot. I was telling my mom last night that it was better than the reviews to which Curtis promptly butted in and said "No, it wasn't." Okay, it was a little hokey. There was this really freaky- looking Chinese guy in it that could make people's brains explode by screaming. Hey! Wasn't this the very thing I was trying to get away from at home? Anyways, it made me glad that I didn't live in the slums of Hong Kong if anything else. Maybe you should wait until it comes out on video. Unless you are just DYING to see Djimon Hounsou's latest movie and can't wait that long.



We weren't out that late so I wasn't hung-over on Saturday when we had to get up bright and early for Hawaiian Dance Class. More about that to come.



After we got home around noon I lazed about and did nothing for about 2 hours. Heaven. I was really glad for the rest because it energized me enough to make an actual dinner for my family. Barbecued chicken, steamed vegetables, and garlicky, cheesy bread. Yum!



Our new neighbors (the cat people) came over for a little visit and while Curtis was showing off our backyard landscaping (which is ridiculous because I've done it all myself--and it's not that great) he let it slip that our dog has killed cats before. This is just what I was trying to avoid. You should have seen poor cat wife's face. She covered her cheeks with her hands and looked at her husband like they just found out they're living next door to The Children of the Corn. By the way, they have 2 cats , and their roommate has 3! Five cats next door. Oh, please don't ever let them out. We tried to smooth things out by inviting them for dinner but they said that part of the deal with their roommate is to provide dinner. Sounds like a bed and breakfast to me. When I pulled the cheesy bread out of the oven the cat husband queried "What is that?!" Then they joked that their roommate could have cold cereal. They didn't end up staying but we'll be sure to have them over some other time.
We have to butter them up for the day that our dog eats their cat.



After dinner we spent the evening singing karaoke. Sing Star to be exact. You get to watch the videos while you sing. We got Hallie the country one for her birthday. We've had to outlaw a few songs like "Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy" and "Honky-Tonk Bedonk-A-Donk". And I think we've inspired (and not in a good way) Grace to become Jessica Simpson. Yikes! For Christmas we got them the 80's version. It's a little tamer, but as Curtis was singing "Come On Eileen" our kids were scandalized by some of the lyrics. Nobody ever knew the real lyrics to begin with so how could we know? The kids fave is "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister. Even Zane sings along: "uh-uh gonna take it!" I think I'm going to get them the Disney one for Valentine's Day. That's got to be better.



THEN, after the kids went to bed Curtis and I watched "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?" One Christmas we both bought this movie for each other. Weird. It's a very funny movie, but has a lot of old man cussing in it.
Just put it on mute every time Pappy O'Daniel is on screen.
He can't say anything without profaning.



Sunday was Sunday-ish. Church. Lounging. Dinner. Bed-time.



Sounds nice, doesn't it?



It was nice, indeed.

6 comments:

The Dominguez Family said...

Sound like you had a good weekend!

hillari said...

that sounds like a wonderful weekend! We had a houseful of sick people over here, so not much fun.

Unknown said...

Hey Deb! Great blog! Can you add me as one of your favorite people? :)

The Dominguez Family said...

Forgot to comment earlier on Grace's artwork... Great work!

Charlene said...

My kids love those singing games. My husband suddenly becomes Jon Bonjovi when you give him a microphone...Scary...

brookegfunk said...

I enjoy old men cussin' - it's my fave kind of cussing and I think its allowed. An old 80 yr old man should be able to say whatever the @#$%$#^&%$@#$ he wants to. I saw the beginning of Coraline over the weekend ( Sloan wouldn't sit through more) and got a new nephew so sorry Debra I love you but my weekend was cooler.Now I'm gonna go put on my Dapper Dan .