Thursday, December 4, 2008

Oh, please. "Twilight" again?

When I watched "Twilight" the first time it was 12:00 a.m. and we were in the second row on the side. I wanted to see it again from a normal vantage point. So I talked Curtis into going with me. Actually, I had asked him to take me, then I contemplated going with my mom and sister instead.

When I told Curtis I was going with them he said "I thought I was going to go with you."
"I thought you didn't care", I replied.
"Oh--I don't. I was just going to be with you", he said defensively.
Yeah right, I thought. "It's okay to admit that you are curious about the movie and want to see it",
I told him. "It doesn't make you less of a man."
"I couldn't care less", he said.

Well, my sister ended up not coming to town (sniff), so we dogged my mom and went together. Sorry, mom. You totally could have come with us!

So we're sitting in the theater and I'm teasing Curtis about being seen in a teenage chick flick, and being one of 3 guys there, when in walks this other couple. The husband (or boyfriend... I don't judge) is covering his face with his shirt. I guess he didn't want to be seen either. As they make their way over to the row behind us Curtis says "I feel your pain, man." The guy, we'll call him "Fred", replies with "Check your man-card at the door". "Ethel" swats him on the shoulder and says "Be nice". We chatted for a while with "Fred" and "Ethel" and joke about the emasculating situation our men are in and how much they must really love us to be seen at that movie. "Ethel" and I are excited to be able to see it objectively after the emotional high seeing it on opening night.

Periodically I would comment to Curtis about the various characters. "That's Chicklets-For-Teeth, I proclaim when Jacob makes his first appearance. And "the dad seemed like he would have less hair when I pictured him in the book."

The funniest thing was during the first lunch room scene.

Me whispering to Curtis...
"That's Emmet and Rosalie. Thomas (my friend's husband) is in total love with Rosalie".
"Oh, there's Alice and Jasper. Doesn't Alice look like Cynthia and Abby Clark mixed together? And doesn't Jasper look like Edward Scissorhands?"
Then in walks Edward. There wasn't quite the gasp from the audience that was heard that first night.
But I didn't proclaim his identity to Curtis. I just let him watch. After several minutes of the scene Curtis leans over and whispers "Who's that guy?"
"Why, that's Edward" I say, in slight disbelief.
"What?!?!" says Curtis. "That's the guy that is supposed to be this heart-throb that everyone is in love with?"
"Yes!" I counter. "You'll get used to his Quasimodo-ishness. Just wait about 20 minutes."

About 20 minutes later..."Does he look better to you now?"

"No. He's creepy."

For the rest of the movie I was treated to "Oh, brother"s, nose-snorts from Curtis and "Fred", and "Be nice"s from "Ethel".

After the movie "Ethel" and I decided that we were glad that we hadn't noticed how bad the acting was the first time. I decided that the special effects were bad both times. I hope they have more mou-lah next time to get Edward an acting-coach. But I still enjoyed it. Does that make me glutton for punishment? A sado-masochist?

I'll see it again. It was fun! That's all I ask for in a movie.

If you ask Curtis about the movie he'll say it was "Okay" and that he sort-of enjoyed it. And that it wasn't dark and creepy like he thought it would be. Except for Edward. He thought the special effects looked like they were straight out of E.T. Well it was Industrial Light and Magic that did them. Hopefully they'll concentrate less on the "Industrial" part and more on the "Magic" part next time.

And he liked Alice.

And...this is the worst of it all...he likes Jacob the best!

I can't believe I co-habitate with a Team Jacob member.

He clearly did not read the second, interminably long book.

5 comments:

hillari said...

okay, so I have this new, strange desire to see this movie in the theater. Too bad we didn't see it together one of your TWO times! I also feel like a hypocrite, because I have bagged on the books quite a bit, but I have to admit I am enjoying the last one. I feel ashamed. :)

SJ said...

Well, I may be in your boat dragging my husband along with me. One of my sisters bailed on me; the other is considering... so I might just have to see it with Jim. I imagine he'll be just as bad as Curtis... oh well, I guess.

Thanks for the heads up about the acting; I'm trying so hard not to have any expectations at all. My sister called it cheesy, but she liked it alot. Well, we'll see how it goes for me... don't know when I'll be seeing it yet, though.

Charlene said...

Poor Curtis (cough, cough)! If we women have to endure all the superhero movies, why can't the guys endure a chick flick!

Jennifer said...

I still haven't seen it. Maybe this weekend-- I just don't want to pay a babysitter to go. I am fully expecting it to be cheesy... but still want to see it.
PS- I can totally picture Curtis and the other guy in the theater.

KB Stanger Art and Design said...

Hillari, You just totally betrayed me!
Just kidding, I'll go with you.
Debra, thanks for writing me so I could see what you all are up to. Fun!