Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Just in time for Easter

It's so weird that May is breathing down our necks and Easter hasn't even happened yet. In a way, it's been a big blessing because I just seem to jump from project to project. I don't know how I would have squeezed Easter into everything else I have going on.

Anyways, if it hadn't have been for Zane, the garden Hannah planted for her Young Women's project last October would have wasted away months ago. Everyday Zane goes out and looks for broccoli florets and "fat" peas. He cracks me up when he brings in a bowl of veggies and says "I found lots of 'packs' of peas." His favorite is to open a pod of peas on the spot and snack on them while he hunts for more. A few weeks ago he had his little buddy Aaron over and he decided to share with him the deliciousness of fresh peas straight from the pod. After they opened one and sampled the little green orbs inside he instructed Aaron to just throw the "wrapper" on the ground. Can you tell he eats alot of pre-packaged foods?

One particular vegetable he has been waiting anxiously for is the carrots. He loves carrots. That statement just doesn't do justice to his fondness for the orange spear. He really really really loves carrots. Everyday he has asked when the carrots would be done. A few months ago, he let his desire get the better of him and he pulled up several immature carrots. After seeing how little and unappealing they looked, he decided to wait until he had the green light to pull up more. Yesterday after our daily pea and broccoli floret hunting trip I asked him if he would like to pull up a carrot or two. I have never heard or seen him more excited. As he grasped the ferny top and gave it a tug, his face erupted into pure joy as he beheld his beautiful, orange treasure. It was the sweetest face. My heart was full of his joy.

We pulled another, but it wasn't as big so we decided to wait to pull anymore. He quickly ran inside and washed the dark earth from his prize.

And without further ado he ate them.

Right there.

Hairy roots and all.

I told you, he loves carrots.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Aaron loves playing with Zane!! The other day Aaron was saving a seed from his orange and he said, "Mom get me a bag, I have to save this for Zane so he can plant it in his garden!"