Friday, August 20, 2010

Vampire in a convertible.

My car problems seem to be growing. As in the afore-mentioned post, we are having issues. Our side-job mechanic/hometeacher called the other night and told us that he couldn't put our radiator in because it was a bigger job than he could do without a hydraulic lift. Oh well, thanks for trying, Brother! Now we have to call around and find someone to do it. Thanks for the tip Shel. Maybe I'll call you.

Our van is a whole other issue. I took it in Wednesday morning to see why that darn check engine light was on again. As we sat and sat, people needing work on their cars would come and go. But not us. We just sat.

After 2 hours of sitting, a quirky looking lady came in. She was thin with red (and black and blond) Annie Lennox hair and bright red lip stick. She was wearing a "Nightmare Before Christmas" shirt, ripped jeans and Doc Martens (those are soooo 90's. Helloooo). Out of all the chairs in the whole place she chose to sit right next to us. She pulled out a cup of Paradise Bakery soup (we were starving!!!) and a comic book. Not just any comic book, an adult comic book. "Conan". I later learned that she was 45 and a half years old. When Zane started squirming around she asked me if he was reading age yet.

"No," I replied. "He's only three."

She then proceeded to get another comic book out of a brown paper sack. She handed it to Zane without another word. It had a picture of a devilish looking priest on the front. Inside it was filled with violent, vivid scenes of mayhem and destruction. Wow. "How can I politely take this away from Zane," I wondered to myself.

Crazy Lady then stated that there were cuss words in the book and that's why she asked if he could read. But since he couldn't read it was okay for him to look at it. Well, then. That makes it perfectly alright! Sheesh!

"Thankyou," I said weakly.

She smiled at me and then I saw them.

Her teeth. (shudder)

They were vampire teeth. She had to have gone to a cosmetic dentist to get them done because nobody has canines that are naturally that long and pointy. (The picture above is not that lady's teeth. It is just a random picture from the Internet.)

Wow. There are all kinds of people in this world. Anyways, Zane got bored of the bloodbath and put the book down. After a while the lady's car was done and she zoomed off in a sporty little convertible. Wonder what she does for a living....

After about 4 1/2 hours of sitting there trying to keep two little kids happy, and the mechanics still not knowing exactly what the problem was, I requested a rental car. This is the third rental car we've had to get in 2 weeks. It only holds 5 people, and last time I checked we had 7 people in our family. Needless to say, it has been interesting trying to get everyone around.

I was commiserating with my aunt yesterday. I really shouldn't be complaining about a thing to her because she and my uncle have so many health problems, but I couldn't help myself. (I like complaining to anyone who will listen. Sorry to those of you who have ever had a conversation with me, because it has invariably contained complaining on my part. It's a hobby really.)

Anyways, I digress. Moments after getting off the phone with her my uncle rang back and said "Get over here and pick up this van that is collecting dust in our driveway. Use it as long as you need to."

They are the kindest, lovingest aunt and uncle anyone could ask for. I've always had a special spot in my heart for them. I don't feel the same about any of my other aunts or uncles. I love them all, of course, just not in the same way.

You should see this van. It is huge!!! They bought it to take on trips and drives after they retired, but their health has prevented them from doing so. And my uncle can't even manage to get in it for short drives. I'm so thankful for them, but so sad for them at the same time. Bless their hearts.

Say a thankyou prayer for all your loved ones.

Funny how this post is ending quite differently from how it started.

P.S. Our van is still in the shop. They don't really know what the problem is. They replaced the computer and are now going to try fixing the wire harness. Great. That's just fabulous. They said they have never seen this problem before. Ever. That just makes my %$#@ day.

4 comments:

Shel said...

It is NOT possible to read any of your posts and NOT bust a rib! However...you could have let me come pick you up for lunch and flower pots! Dork! I can only imagine the nightmares Zane is going to have now...or a newfound fascination with comics!! =) Seriously...CRAZY! What a sweet aunt and uncle though...wow. SUCH a blessing...one you guys sooo deserve. Hey...maybe we should take a trip to Cali and go on The Price is Right and win you a car...I am SURE you would get picked!!

Gardner Family said...

We are sooo there!

hillari said...

haha--good idea about the price is right. That lady sounds completely nuts! I would have been sighing with relief when she drove off. So sad about your car/van. :( no fun. Awesome that your aunt and uncle are helping you out though! We need to get together!!

Jennifer said...

Hi to our favorite piano teacher ever! We still don't have one here. Kaden keeps saying let's just keep sister Gardner and we'll go down there every week.

Wow- that lady sounds ca-razy! I can't believe you sat there for four hours! Car problems are so lame! And your van is pretty new isn't it? Lame.
By the way, you are soo not a complainer. I've always thought of you as extremely positive. Everyone has the right to complain after car problems--especially when they can write it with such wit. Makes for a good read :-)