Sunday, May 16, 2010

Violet's Burn

The burn is healing nicely. We had a visit with the staff at the AZ Burn Center on Friday. I no longer have to change a dressing daily. Violet has graduated to a compression garment (it looks like a thick pantyhose that covers her arm from elbow to fingers with her thumb sticking out of a hole in the side and her fingers peeking out the end.)

I get (hooray for me) to rub lotion on her burn and massage/pinch/roll the skin to prevent scar tissue from building up. As the nurse explained all this to me, all I could think was "Yay! I no longer have to mess with those danged bandages anymore."

Thinking that it would be smooth sailing from here on out I asked for how long I had to do the lotion/massage treatment, thinking it would be a few weeks at least.

"Oh, you're going to have to this for a year," she said.

A year?!?!?

Holy crow, who would have thought a curling iron could do so much damage?

And the compression garment too? This is crazy!

Anyways, I'll do what it takes to keep her from having a noticeable scar in her prom pictures someday.

Violet's feeling like her normal self, though. Earlier Zane and Grace were trying to get a game of Twister going and Violet kept making a muck of the vinyl mat. Zane came over to me in exasperation and said, "Mom, I want you to put Violet back in your tummy."

Things are definitely getting back to normal.

No comments: